Woods Pond, Bridgton
Woods Pond in Bridgton is a 462 acre body of water that's two miles long and just under a half mile wide. The distance around its shoreline measures five miles and it has a maximum depth of 29 feet. The Maine Department of Environmental Protection rates its water quality as "average".
According to the local Lakes Environmental Association, Woods Pond is said to be named after Bridgton's first surveyor, Solomon Wood, who came to the area in the fall of 1776. Today the town beach and boat launch provide easy access for swimming, fishing, boating and sailing. In 2003, Woods Pond became the first waterbody in the area to have a milfoil wash station, which was designed, installed and paid for by the Woods Pond Association, LEA and the Town of Bridgton.
The boat launch and town beach can be found at the very southern end of the pond. Route 117, running between Bridgton and Denmark, passes right by the south end affording passersby expansive views down the pond. On a summer's day, looking down the east shore, one might see the rafts and flotillas marking the activities ongoing at Camp Wildwood, one of the many summer camps for children found in the area. On the west shore find the well-tended housekeeping cottages rented out to visitors for many summer seasons.
Development of the lakefrontage has been modest, but ongoing. Several new, year round homes have been built near the pond's shoreline recently and two or three major subdivisions are in place where shorefront lots for future building can be purchased.