Showing property in the Lakes Region can be interesting sometimes. I showed a Fryeburg property last night at 6:30 to some great clients. Knowing it was going to be very cold and dark out and a vacant property with a long drive way that was not plowed; I knew to dress warm and to wear my high boots! On the way to the property, the listing agent called to tell me he plowed the driveway himself (with his own snow blower), left the porch light on and turned up the heat. What a great agent! Especially since I had every warm weather clothing on except…… I still had my slip on shoes……. that was close!!!! You have to love Real Estate in Maine!
As a volunteer for the Naples Public Library located at 940 Roosevelt Trail in Naples Maine I wanted to share some important information that people from away may or may not know about the library. It has been serving the residents and visitors of the Lakes’ Region since 1907 and continues to thrive today.
The Library offers a variety of regular meetings, social events, and other services designed to entertain, educate, and meet the needs of our patrons and visitors.
1. • Free Wireless connection both within the Library and on the grounds
2. • Free use of our desktop and laptop computers in the Adult and Children’s Library
3. • Interlibrary Loan – if we do not have your desired book, we can offer find it for you for a $2 fee
4. • Copying, faxing, scanning available at a nominal charge
5. • Meeting room available, by reservation, for local non-profit groups
6. • Meet the Author events
7. • Monthly Book Discussion Group: get together with fellow book-lovers to read and discuss
8. • Fancy a game of Scrabble? Our Scrabble Club is always looking for new players
9. • Mini-Art Show Walk/Bake Sale every year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving
10. • Educational and entertainment programs for adults and children offered regularly on many topics
11. • Gently used books, videos, and puzzles at bargain prices in our Book Barn. Open all library hours
For Kids & Family
1. • Kids N’ Kameras Photography Workshops
2. • Story Time for Beginning Readers offered weekly
3. • Special events for children and the young at heart
4. • Family Art Night each month, bring the family and create your own masterpieces
5. • Free movie nights for kids and families, often offering the latest popular films
6. • Discounted passes to Gray Animal Farm, USM Planetarium and Children’s Museum by reservation
If you have any time, please stop by and meet the people who continue to make the library worth entering.
The website is: www.naples.lib.me.us
Surveyor, Jim Nadeau shared the following information for Mortgage Loan Inspections vs. Surveys:
Mortgage loan inspection vs. survey – by Nadeau Land Surveys
The intention of a mortgage loan inspection product is to evaluate building setback compliance at the time of construction and if National Flood Insurance Program mandatory flood insurance is required. These two items, and only these two items, are satisfied in a mortgage loan inspection. In the simplest of terms, the mortgage note creates an investment and the mortgage loan inspection aids in determining risk for the investor. It does not establish or identify boundary lines.
What makes a boundary survey different? A boundary survey does not rely upon the current deed in the locus chain of title, but actually uses the first deed from the original grantor regardless of how distant in the past this operative deed rests. Additionally, the operative deeds of all applicable neighboring chains of title are analyzed to determine the sequential or simultaneous order of lot or line creation. It is the best method to properly render a strong professional opinion as to the location of a record boundary line. In addition, boundary surveys also identify rights of way and easement locations, on-site encroachments, an accurate area, differences in record and occupation lines, and of course, an accurate location of a boundary line defendable in a boundary dispute.
A mortgage loan inspection on the other hand often assumes the field evidence found is correct, uses the description on the current or proposed deed, does not evaluate neighbors’ deeds, and assumes no typographical errors exist in the deed description.
In summary, a mortgage loan inspection is an investment tool and though paid for at closing by the applicant, it is not intended to be used by a homeowner, an architect, Realtor, engineer, or municipality for planning, design, permitting, or construction purposes. The location of a record boundary line cannot be determined without formal records research, in-depth field reconnaissance and location, and mathematical computation. Take time to read the many qualifications often present on the face of a mortgage loan inspection as it is a product extremely deficient of the efforts required for a boundary survey. I do support the mortgage loan inspection as a professional product, but only when properly used, which is never for boundary line determination, land divisions, or municipal approvals.
Appreciate Maine and everything it has to offer! Until you live here you just don’t realize the things we take for granted. Friendly people, clean air, fresh water, lobsters and beautiful wildlife everywhere.
The four-seasons with the vibrant colors in the fall of yellow, red and orange so vivid you almost drive off the road when the sun hits them, or when there is a northeaster and a blanket of white covers everything, we build a fire in the woodstove and cook something yummy. It’s true no two snowflakes are alike! When spring arrives and the crocus breaks through the snow to tell us the long, cold winter is through. Summer is flowers blooming, warm sunny days and all the wildlife teaching their young how to survive.
Sure we have -20 degree days and muddy springs, but if you are reading this and you haven’t been to Maine, you need to find out “you can get there from heyah” Ahhhhh!!
P.S. If you couldn’t tell, I appreciate where I live!!
Anne Plummer Legere